May 23, 2016
Crock Pot Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
I just love a good crock pot meal and this was another one of those super easy to prepare meals, cooks away for 5 hours on low while you do the rest of your day. I have an asterisk next to the word flavorful because there's one thing I forgot to do and it's just to give you a heads up. This recipe calls for 3 cups Alfredo sauce with 1 cup water. I only had one jar . This means not much extra sauce at all so I'll be honest and say after a few bites, it was a tad dry.
Easy fix, though! You can also make homemade Alfredo sauce with just some skim milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese all brought to a boil. I plan on doing that when we have leftovers. Besides this not having as much sauce, it's a really tasty meal!
Crock pot Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
Recipe adapted from the kitchen magpie
-2 tbsp. olive oil
-3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts. (I decided to leave mine whole because I like the idea of shredded chicken but this recipe mentions chopped in cubes).
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-1 medium red onion, diced
-About 14 whole wheat lasagna noodles, uncooked
-3 cups Alfredo sauce
-1 cup water
-1 15 ounce container of ricotta cheese ( I used part skim)
-1 tbsp. oregano
-1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh parsley
-salt and pepper
-3 cups shredded part skim mozzarella
-1 can of mushrooms *optional ( I didn't use mushrooms)
1. Soak the noodles in warm water in a 9x13 pan while prepping the chicken.
2. Cook the chicken all the way through until golden brown , along with the onions and garlic. Set aside.
3. In large measuring cup, mix the water and Alfredo sauce together.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, eggs, pepper, salt and oregano.
5. Spray the bottom and sides of the crock pot with cooking spray.
6. Pour 1 cup of the Alfredo mixture into the bottom of the crock pot.
7. Place 3-4 noodles on top of the sauce for bottom layer. You'll need to break them in half and make them fit like puzzle pieces a little bit. ( It's fun. sort of).
8. Place 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles then place chicken on top. If you have cubed the chicken, it'll be more of a mixture that you can layer.
9. Next, sprinkle 1/3 of shredded mozzarella on top.
10. Take 3-4 noodles again and place on top.
11. Pour another cup of the sauce mixture on top.
12. Repeat with chicken mixture and then ricotta mixture on top.
13. Top with another layer of noodles.
14. Add another cup of sauce.
15. Top with remaining chicken and/or ricotta mixture.
16. Finish topping with noodles.
17. Top with remaining sauce and more mozzarella cheese
18. Cook on LOW for 5 hours MAX.