This is certainly not the best photo of a roasted chicken. I mean, let's call a spade a spade here; it's hideous. But there are so many other wonderful things about this chicken that its attractiveness really just isn't priority. This chicken has so many things going for it:
1) It's a delicious and healthy meal for at least two days during the week.
2) It's been prepared in the crock pot, rubbed with margarine and minced garlic and other tasty spices.
3) It's been surrounded by sliced onions and chopped baby red potatoes.
4) It's got tremendous flavor from what I think is from the juice of one lemon ( and the butter of course).
5) It cooks in the crock pot, on high, for 6 hours and BAM. You have dinner.
It's that easy, and flavorful and comforting and did I mention delicious?
Other meal ideas with chicken leftovers:
Leftover meal #1: Chicken salad. (I personally have made this for lunch mixed with half an avocado. It’s so delicious)! Or for a dinner, make a large salad with your favorite toppings and dressing.
Leftover meal #2: Chicken tacos/ enchiladas served with a side salad or rice or Spicy Chicken lettuce wraps- just add salsa.
Leftover meal #3: Shred the chicken and add to your favorite soup.
Don't forget to freeze chicken if you're not going to use it for two or three days.
I hope you enjoy!
Recipe: Lemon-Garlic Chicken with baby red potatoes
Adapted from the Crock pot recipe book that my Crock pot came with
-One, 4-5 lb whole chicken oven roaster (I typically buy Perdue)
-3 cloves of garlic
-2 medium sweet/yellow onions (about a cup total)
-Juice of 1 lemon
-1-2 tbsp. spreadable butter ( I use Land O Lakes olive oil spread. It’s super easy to spread around)
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. Black Pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. fresh or dried parsley
-1 small bag of baby potatoes, skin on
(add carrots or any other veggie you like)
To make the chicken:
1.Wet and clean off the chicken with cold water, trim any excess fat. Pat dry with a paper towel. * Be sure to remove the innards. I love the Perdue brand because they seal all of that stuff in a bag that you can easily remove.
2. Place the chicken down in the crock pot and massage with butter. Cur one onion in half, or quarter it depending on the size and place in the cavity along with 2 whole garlic cloves.
3. Slice up the other onion and mince the other garlic clove. Scatter the onions all around the chicken and rub the minced garlic all over the chicken.
4. Rub all the spices into the chicken.
5. Chop the potatoes in half and scatter all around the chicken and any other veggie you like. Top with lemon juice, squeeze generously all over the chicken.
6. You can either cook on LOW for 10 hours or I prefer on HIGH for 6 hours. I like to serve this on top of egg noodles. You can also serve with mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes or more veggies. Overall it’s an easy, delicious and healthy meal!